Sauteed Autumn Combination(s)
- granny smith apples
- 1 to 2
- sweet potatoes
- sweet onions
- olive oil
- 1 lb
- turkey sausage/turkey kielbasa (option/main)
- 1 to 2
- garlic cloves (optional)
How to Make Sauteed Autumn Combination(s)
- 1Wash, core & slice apples into thinnish wedges, about 8 per half
- 2Wash & slice sweet potatoes (peel if you like, I usually do not) Slice into rounds about 1/4 inch thick
- 3Peel onion, halve top to bottom, slice halves 6 to 8 each & loosen into segments
- 4Warm olive oil in cast iron fry pan (the big one 12" to 14" to hold all ingredients) Add onion on low heat & sweat to anywhere from golden to fully caramelized. 20 minutes. Add sweet potato rounds to browned onions, stir in, cover. Turn the rounds/toss ofter 7 or 8 minutes, when they are browning nicely themselves.
- 5When potatoes have been turned at least once -- they should be softening -- add the apple wedges to the pan, & put the lid back on for 3 to 5 minutes. You can't ruin this dish, if it goes longer, it's fine. If you like the apples a tad crispy for texture variation, that's fine too. If you like garlic, add a clove or two at this time.
- 6It's done when you think so. Potatoes tender, apples softened. If you're adding the sausage or kielbasa, cut into rounds add just before the apples & garlic. Grind some pepper over the top when you serve.