2 lbyukon gold potatoes
2 cfiltered water
1 1/2 csauerkraut
1/4 tspcaraway seeds
1/4 tspceltic sea salt
1 1/2 cwhite spelt or all purpose flour
1 1/4 tspbaking powder
How to Make Sauerkraut Knishes
- Peel and chop the potatoes. Put them in the cold water then cook them in a covered pot for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Heat the sauerkraut and caraway seeds in 1/8 cup of water in a small pot over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Mash cooked potatoes and divide mixture into thirds. Stir 1/3 of the mashed potatoes with sauerkraut mixture. Mix remaining mashed potatoes with turmeric, salt, flour and baking powder to create a dough.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes. Then roll dough out onto a floured surface until 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 4"x4" squares (about 8). Place 1/8 of the filling on each square. Fold corners of the dough in and pinch dough tight in the center.
- Preheat your oven to 375'F. Place knishes pinched side down on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream.