Russian Potato Casserole with Caramelized Onions1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
6onions, sweet and thinly sliced
4 Tbspolive oil
4 pkgpotatoes, russets
1 cheavy cream
1 csour cream
2 csour cream
How to Make Russian Potato Casserole with Caramelized Onions
- Melt the 5 tablespoons butter in a large skillet or dutch oven; add the oil and heat.
- Add the onions, stir to coat and reduce the heat to low; cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until they turn a deep brown color.
- Sprinkle with the sugar and continue cooking for a few more minutes - The onions will take about an hour.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in enough chicken stock to cover - (Cook potatoes until slightly underdone); drain the potatoes completely, reserving the chicken stock.
- Mash the potatoes and add the butter.
- Stir the beaten eggs into one cup of the sour cream; add this to the hot potatoes, stirring quickly to distribute the egg evenly.
- Stir in the cream and the dill weed; add enough of the reserved stock to make a very loose mashed potato consistency - You do not want them to be stiff because they will dry out in the oven.
- Butter a casserole dish and add half the potatoes; spread the caramelized onions in an even layer over the potatoes.
- Carefully cover the onions with the rest of the potatoes, sealing them in; cover the top with the remaining 2 cups of sour cream.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.