★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, cold
- 1 large
- sweet onion, such as vidalia, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp
- ground thyme or dried if ground isn't available
- bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 2 lb
- baby yukon gold potatoes or fingerling potatoes
- 1/2 to 2/3 c
- 1/2 c
- grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1/2 lb
- grated gruyere or other swiss cheese
How to Make Rachael Ray's Sweet Onion Potatoes Au Gratin
- 1Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add onions. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Cook until very soft, sweet and lightly caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- 3Remove bay leaf.
- 4While onions cook, place potatoes in pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, salt the water, and cook until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pot.
- 5Mash the potatoes with cream, season with salt and pepper, and mix in the Parmigiano cheese.
- 6Preheat broiler. Arrange the potatoes in individual gratin dishes or a shallow casserole dish. Top with onions and Gruyere cheese.
- 7Brown gratin under hot broiler until bubbly, about two minutes.