★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 Tbspbutter, cold
1 largesweet onion, such as vidalia, thinly sliced
·salt and pepper
1/2 tspground thyme or dried if ground isn't available
1bay leaf, fresh or dried
2 lbbaby yukon gold potatoes or fingerling potatoes
1/2 to 2/3 ccream
1/2 cgrated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
1/2 lbgrated gruyere or other swiss cheese
How to Make Rachael Ray's Sweet Onion Potatoes Au Gratin
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Cook until very soft, sweet and lightly caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- While onions cook, place potatoes in pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, salt the water, and cook until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pot.
- Mash the potatoes with cream, season with salt and pepper, and mix in the Parmigiano cheese.
- Preheat broiler. Arrange the potatoes in individual gratin dishes or a shallow casserole dish. Top with onions and Gruyere cheese.
- Brown gratin under hot broiler until bubbly, about two minutes.