Potatos au gratin
This is made without added salt. High BP is in the family so I avoid adding extra when possible. I think the cheese adds enough saltiness, but feel free to add a dash when making the layers if you like.
I dont actually measure the ingredients, so all are approximate. The timings are approximate as well, it depends on if you use prepared ingredients or how golden you like your cheese topping. ;-)
How to Make Potatos au gratin
- 1Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 2Peel potatoes, cube/dice and boil until just done. Try not to over cook, but if this happens its not going to ruin the recipe. Because of the cheese, salted water is not necessary.
- 3Butter a 9x9 or similar size baking dish. Put layer of potatoes in dish. Sprinkle generously with black pepper and 1-2 cloves pressed/minced garlic. Sprinkle with salt, if desired. If using a salty cheese, omit salt.
- 4Dot potato layer with 2-3 tsp sour cream. Sprinkle 1/2 - 1 C shredded cheese over potatoes.
- 5Repeat layers until all potatoes are used (potato, pepper, garlic, sour cream, cheese). Do not put pepper, garlic or sour cream on top layer. Top layer is only cheese.
- 6After all layers made, pour whipping cream over top.
- 7Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, top is golden.