Creamy American Potato Salad
Everyone who has tried this potato salad raves about it. Even people who profess to not like potato salad eats this one.
- 5 lb
- 1 large
- sweet onion finely chopped
- celery stalks including leafy tops finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 stick
- butter or margarine, melted
- good quality mayonnaise (i prefer hellmans, but kraft works as well)
- hard boiled eggs (optional)
How to Make Creamy American Potato Salad
- 1Place potatoes in a steamer basket over simmering water. Steam until just tender. Allow to sit until cool enough to handle.
- 2Peel potatoes. Cut into 1/4 - 1/2 inch cubes. Place in large bowl. (You should almost be able to peel them with your finger nails.)
- 3Mix in the celery and onion. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour melted butter over top and gently toss to combine and separate the potato cubes.
- 4When the butter has been absorbed, add enough mayonnaise to coat the salad. Usually 2 - 3 cups works for me. Add chopped hard boiled eggs if using.
Chill at least 1 hour until ready to serve.