Potato Gruyere Au Gratin
I leave the peels on the potatoes but, of course that is your choice. You can substitute Swiss cheese for the Gruyere if you like. I prefer the Gruyere.
Picture is of unbaked sliced potatoes. I did not get a picture of this dish the last time I made it.
- 2 lb
- potatoes, leave skins on or peel, and slice
- 6 oz
- gruyere cheese, shredded and divided
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 c
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp
- nutmeg or more to taste
- green onions, finely sliced
How to Make Potato Gruyere Au Gratin
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cook sliced potatoes in boiling water for about 5 minutes. Drain. Arrange 1/3 of the potatoes in a well buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle with 1/3 of cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Repeat with second 1/3 of potatoes, second 1/3 of cheese, salt and pepper. Add a top layer of potatoes.
Set casserole aside.
- 2Stir together milk and cream in a medium saucepan. Heat just until mixture barely begins to boil. Remove from heat and whisk in nutmeg. Pour over potato mixture in casserole.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 3Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned.
Garnish with chopped onion and serve hot.