You can make this an entree by adding cooked ham, chicken, or even shrimp! Trust me, it works!
I just made this for my elderly parents, and my father ate so much he was sick later. hmmm...
6 largerusset potatoes
2 mediumsweet onions (vidalia, spanish, etc.)
2 cloveFresh Garlic
6 ccheddar cheese, shredded
6 clight cream or half and half
·salt and pepper
pinchspices to taste
How to Make Potato Casserole
- Peel and Boil potatoes until they are cooked but not mashable. (they will finish cooking in the oven later) -- Let cool and slice thin (1/2" slices are great!)
- Slice onions to thin strips (not dice) - Chop garlic
- In a hot skillet with olive oil, sautee onions until starting to caramelize, then add garlic (garlic will burn if added too soon). Let cool when finished.
- While this is happening, grate cheese.
- In a casserole dish, spray with PAM or other spray fat. This will make clean up a breeze!
- Start layering potatoes, onions, and cheese. repeat. and repeat. When you're out of potatoes, put the rest of cheese (maybe grate some more! I'm a cheeze hound)... Cover and bake in 375 degree preheated oven for 1.5 hours. Take lid off dish 10-20 minutes before finishing to give it a nice golden crust (my favorite part)