You can make this an entree by adding cooked ham, chicken, or even shrimp! Trust me, it works!
I just made this for my elderly parents, and my father ate so much he was sick later. hmmm...
- 6 large
- russet potatoes
- 2 medium
- sweet onions (vidalia, spanish, etc.)
- 2 clove
- Fresh Garlic
- 6 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 c
- light cream or half and half
- salt and pepper
- spices to taste
How to Make Potato Casserole
- 1Peel and Boil potatoes until they are cooked but not mashable. (they will finish cooking in the oven later) -- Let cool and slice thin (1/2" slices are great!)
- 2Slice onions to thin strips (not dice) - Chop garlic
- 3In a hot skillet with olive oil, sautee onions until starting to caramelize, then add garlic (garlic will burn if added too soon). Let cool when finished.
- 4While this is happening, grate cheese.
- 5In a casserole dish, spray with PAM or other spray fat. This will make clean up a breeze!
- 6Start layering potatoes, onions, and cheese. repeat. and repeat. When you're out of potatoes, put the rest of cheese (maybe grate some more! I'm a cheeze hound)... Cover and bake in 375 degree preheated oven for 1.5 hours. Take lid off dish 10-20 minutes before finishing to give it a nice golden crust (my favorite part)