Potato and Apple Galette with Sage
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From Bon Appetit The Christmas Season.
- 5 Tbsp
- warm melted butter
- golden delicious apple, peeled, halved, cored, cut into 1/8-inch thick slices (6-7 ounces)
- 3 tsp
- minced fresh sage
- russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch thick rounds (6-7 ounces)
- fresh sage sprigs
How to Make Potato and Apple Galette with Sage
- 1Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 450°F. Brush 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 1 1/2-inch-high sides with 1/2 tablespoon butter. Line bottom of pan with parchment; brush parchment with 1/2 tablespoon butter.
- 2Place apple slices, 1 tablespoon butter and 1 teaspoon minced sage in small bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Place potatoes, remaining 3 tablespoons butter and 2 teaspoons minced sage in medium bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- 3Arrange 1 layer of neatest potato slices in concentric circles in prepared pan, overlapping potatoes in outermost circle (this will become top of galette). Top with second layer of potatoes. Top with apple slices. Cover with remaining potatoes. Pour over any butter from bowls used to toss potatoes and apple.
- 4Bake galette until potatoes are tender when tested with tip of sharp knife and top is beginning to brown, about 1 hour.
- 5Remove galette from oven. Turn out onto 9- or 10-inch tart pan bottom; peel off parchment. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
- 6Preheat broiler. Broil galette until top is golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer galette to platter. Cut into wedges.