Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Filling
- 3-4 lb
- russet potatoes, peeled
- 6-8 slice
- white bread, torn into coarse crumbs
- 1/2 c
- white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large
- 3 Tbsp
- salted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c
- whole milk
How to Make Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Filling
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Boil potatoes in salted water for 1 hour or until they can easily be pierced with a fork. Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon of butter, add onions, and saute until just soft, add bread crumbs and stir over heat until lightly toasted. Melt remaining butter separately, and set aside.
- 2Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl and add torn bread, onions and remaining ingredients. Whip together with a hand mixer on medium speed until mixture is almost smooth. Mixture should be a fluffy, mashed potato consistency, just a little bit more dense and rich. Transfer potato mixture to a glass 8x8" square baking dish. Drizzle remaining 2 Tablespoons butter over filling.
- 3Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until filling has formed a light crust. Serve.