Pa Dutch Potato Filling
- 6 medium
- stalks celery
- 1 medium
- sweet onion
- 1/2 c
- 4-5 slice
- white bread, have used italian
- 1/2 c
- 2 tsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 stick
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Pa Dutch Potato Filling
- 1Peel and cut the potatoes into quarter pieces and place in a medium size kettle. Cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes or until soft.
- 2In a separate pan place the chopped celery and onion with ½ cup butter and saute until the mixture starts to become soft (5 minutes on medium-high heat).
- 3Chop the bread into small cubes and place into celery and onion mixture with two tablespoons of butter. Saute until the bread gets covered with the butter mixture (about 3 minutes).
- 4Drain the water out of the potatoes. Mash the potatoes and add 4 tablespoons of butter. Mix milk and egg together and add to the potato mixture. Add celery mixture, parsley and flour. Add pepper and salt to taste, and mix well.
- 5Put the potatoes into a well-greased casserole dish. Place the remaining butter on top of the potatoes. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, or until the top of the casserole is brown.
- 6At times gram would put crumbled smoked bacon in to change it up a bit.