NOT YOUR MAMA'S MASHED POTATOES!
- enough russet potatoes to feed at least 6 people.
- green onions chopped very fine, about 1/4 cup
- cup sharp cheddar cheese
- cup real sour cream, more if too thick
- stick of butter, save a small pat for the top
- salt and pepper to taste.
How to Make NOT YOUR MAMA'S MASHED POTATOES!
- 3You can use a hand masher, if you wish. I mash the potatoes in the same stainless steel pot I used to boil them. That way, I can put them in the oven to keep them warm until serving time. Place the well-drained potatoes on top of the onions, add the butter, add the sour cream, then add the cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. More on mashing in step 3.
- 4I use the electric mixer to mash my potatoes. It does a great job of whipping the daylights out of the potatoes! I also whip my potatoes in the sink to avoid splattering potatoes all over the place. Start off on a low setting, breaking up the chunks of potatoes and combining the ingredients. After the potatoes are mixed, turn the mixer on high and whip them. This does not take very long. Taste to make sure the seasoning is right. Use the tines of a salad serving fork to make the pattern in my photo. I make little stand-up peaks. Cover the dish with foil and set in the oven on 200 degrees to keep warm. Serve with or without gravy. Add that little pat of butter for the top before serving. Your mama will love you!
- 5Cook's Tip: You can put your potatoes on to boil with a lid, and when they come to a fast boil turn off the burner and remove pan covered (no peeking!) to the back of the stove. After they sit for one hour, they should be done. All you have to do, is bring them to a boil again which heats them up, and proceed to make your mashed potatoes. This method frees up and extra burner when you have several dishes working at once.
You can put the potatoes either in the oven to keep warm or in a hot crockpot. Enjoy!