North Dakota's Best Funeral Potatoes
·1 stick (1/2 cup) butter divided
·1/2 cup diced onion (or according to taste)
·1 (32oz.) pkg. frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
·2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
·1 (10.5oz.) can cream of celery soup
·2 cups sour cream
·1/2 teaspoon salt
·1/4 teaspoon black pepper
·1 cup coarsely crushed butter-flavored crackers
How to Make North Dakota's Best Funeral Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Coat a 9x13-in. baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt 1/2 stick butter. Add onion and sauté 4 to 5 minutes, or until soft.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, cheese, soup, sour cream, salt, pepper, and onion; mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, melt remaining butter in microwave; stir in cracker crumbs. Sprinkle cracker mixture over potatoes.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 to 15 additional minutes, or until nice and golden brown and heated through.
- Psst....feel free to substitute any flavor cream soup for the cream of celery.