North Dakota's Best Funeral Potatoes
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter divided
- 1/2 cup diced onion (or according to taste)
- 1 (32oz.) pkg. frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (10.5oz.) can cream of celery soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup coarsely crushed butter-flavored crackers
How to Make North Dakota's Best Funeral Potatoes
- 1Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Coat a 9x13-in. baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2In a small skillet over medium heat, melt 1/2 stick butter. Add onion and sauté 4 to 5 minutes, or until soft.
- 3In a large bowl, combine hash browns, cheese, soup, sour cream, salt, pepper, and onion; mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- 4In a small microwaveable bowl, melt remaining butter in microwave; stir in cracker crumbs. Sprinkle cracker mixture over potatoes.
- 5Cover baking dish with foil and bake 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 to 15 additional minutes, or until nice and golden brown and heated through.
- 6Psst....feel free to substitute any flavor cream soup for the cream of celery.