NANNAW'S GERMAN POTATO SALAD (Ruby Kuhn)
- 1 lb
- smoked bacon, fried crisp (reserve grease)
- 5 lb
- 1 large
- onion, chopped/diced small
- 1/2 c
- vinegar (*i use apple cider vinegar)
- granulated sugar (to taste to weaken vinegar)
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- reserved bacon grease (* i think nannaw used all of it, but i used only 1/2)
- a big Tbsp
- mayonnaise (* pretty sure it wasn't a measuring tablespoon!)
How to Make NANNAW'S GERMAN POTATO SALAD (Ruby Kuhn)
- 3Place pot on high heat; bring to boil; reduce heat to medium/medium-high. (* While potatoes are boiling, make the vinegar & sugar mixture. See step #6.)
- 4Cook potatoes until barely fork tender (about 15 -18 minutes); remove from heat; drain, rinse with cool water for a minute to stop cooking process; drain.
- 5When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and *cut into slices about 1/3 inch to 1/2 inch thick (* I don't know why you couldn't just cut the potatoes into chunks as for any other potato salad) into large bowl.
- 9Warm up the reserved bacon grease (* not too hot, just warm enough to pour easily;) pour warm grease over potatoes; gently mix into potatoes and vinegar in bowl. (* I used 1/2 of the grease.)
- 10Add "a big tablespoon" of mayonnaise (* to taste); gently incorporate into potatoes.
- 11Taste and adjust mayo and seasonings to your liking.
- 12Serve warm or at room temperature.
May be reheated in microwave at low power. (*Not in original recipe, lol!)
Cover and refrigerate leftovers.