Scalloped Potatoes, Cass's Way
- 12 medium
- potatoes, i used russett , because, it is what i had, they take longer to cook. i prefer a yukon gold or red potato. adjust cooking time according
- 1 stick
- butter, cut into 8 slices
- 2 c
- 16 oz - heavy cream
- 4 c
- milk (i use 2% milk, as is what i usually have ( use whole milk if you wish..who's counting calories)
- 6 Tbsp
- 6 Tbsp
- bacon grease, is what i used..butter, or oil , this is for making roux
- 2 -3 Tbsp
- parsley...fresh or dried
- 1 large
- onion (about 2 cups worth, or your preference, we happen to like a lot of onion in these
- 2 -3 pinch
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 c
- 16 oz cheddar cheese (or use what you like)
- 1 c
- panko bread crumbs or regular bread crumbs, or none at all
- 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
Spray the pan or casserole dish with cooking spray, makes cleaning so much easier.
Start spreading about half the potatoes evenly in the pan, then spread half the onions, salt and pepper the layer, add half the parsley,4 pats of butter and about 1/2 cup cheddar or more if you like, then spread about half the white sauce, repeat layering, starting with the potatoes. I also sprinkle about a tablespoon of flour on each layer, remember to season again.
Depending on the size of pan, or whether you are cutting recipe in half, I only used two layers; ending with the rest of white sauce.
If there is not enough sauce to your liking, add some milk to not quite cover the potatoes, but should be able to see that the potatoes have plenty of liquid, I usually add a splash more of milk..just for good measure.
Now, as I said in the ingredients, I used russets today, sliced about 1/4 in thickness; baked at 375 for an hour with foil, then another hour without foil so the potatoes could get a nice golden brown crust....depending on what type of potato you use, the cooking time could change.
You should be able to tell the tenderness by poking with a fork. Enjoy! We sure did!! These are so flavorful and creamy..I have also added ham, bacon, if using as main meal, tonight they were used as a side.