My Famous (don't know why) Easy Potato Salad
How to Make My Famous (don't know why) Easy Potato Salad
- Wash potatos. Place in large pot (skins on) and water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer till finished.
- Meanwhile, boil eggs (I always add a few extra allowing for breakage)
- Chop up onions, set aside in bowl
- When potatos are finished, drain & cool (if in a rush put them in colander w/plate under & put in fridge) till you can handle them easily
- Meanwhile, peel and shred eggs and set aside in bowl (I use a small processor or cheese grater)
- Can either skin potatos, or leave skin on (your preference) Chop little bite sized. Add back to pot.(Not too small or it becomes "mush" potato salad" still the taste but not the eye appeal.)
- Add chopped onions, eggs, and celery SEED to pot, stir gently. (Add celery SEED tsp. at a time - to taste)( I use celery seed because my children and sooo many people don't like the texture of celery...)
- Add mayonaise. Stir or mix w/hands. Taste. Add more celery SEED and reg. salt/pepper & mayo till moistened.
- Refrigerate. Check and add more mayo as needed (potatos soak up the mayo). May want more celery SEED.
- Be prepared to be complimented. Nope-no mustard.....Yet EVERYONE goes nuts over this, even my sister-in-law who dislikes onions! This is better (flavors meld) if it's made day in advance but not necessary.(you will need more mayo next day-as the potatos absorb the mayo-def. not low fat but it is my only 4-5 x a year summer dish)
- A HUGE THANKS & GRATITUDE to the Chef who commented on my error of switching from celery SEED in the ingred. list to celery SALT in the putting together.. Thanks so much....Salt would ruin it.
- ***The next step is just some hints for the first time. Don't necessarily need to read......
- I find adding the onion and celery SEED slowly gives me more control. Especially the onion, since some are much more potent. Find that the finer the onion the more easily the flavor "melds". Thanks again to the fellow chef who read this and picked up my error..... Try this, your family will love it - can also cut down to 5 lb. bag and add l/2 ingredients.....Turns out just as well, except you'd be surprised at how many people want more (esp. during a long w/e family/friends gathering) They are always nibbling on it from the fridge. I have a habit (for those I know are addicted) of labeling w/a perm. marker the outside of a zippy baggie w/their name or a small container w/masking tape and their name...I just don't like "double dipping" in my food - therefore bypass the temptation.