Melt In Your Mouth Au Gratin Potatoes
Easy and impressive, a company dish!
The key to this recipe is the very thinly sliced potatoes. So if you do not have a mandolin, just cut the potatoes as thinly and evenly as possible.
Really, really good!
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 and 1/2 c
- heavy cream
- garlic cloves, peeled
- dash nutmeg
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 large
- idaho potatoes, about 1 and 1/2 lbs
- 1 c
- gruyere cheese, grated
How to Make Melt In Your Mouth Au Gratin Potatoes
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a shallow 2-qt baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
- 2Place cream, garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then strain through colander to remove garlic.
- 3Peel potatoes. Using a mandolin or slicer, slice potatoes about 1/6 inch thick. Place a single layer of potatoes in the buttered pan. Sprinkle some of the cheese evenly over the potatoes. Pour some of the cream sauce over the cheese. Repeat layering process. Top with butter pieces from remaining butter.
- 4Cover pan with aluminum foil, and bake 45 - 50 minutes, uncovering last five minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown.
Remove from heat and let sit for at least 30 minutes to firm up. Return to oven to re-heat if necessary; serve.