Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 large
- fresh sweet potatoes (cooked in skin) or use canned, with liquid drained.
- 1 stick
- butter, melted
- 3/4 c
- brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- nutmeg (optional)
- 1 can(s)
- (5 oz can) evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 oz
- bourbon or brandy (strictly optional!) ;-)
- 1 c
- chopped pecans (could use walnuts if preferred)
- 1 1/2 c
- miniature marshmallows
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1Cook sweet potatoes in oven or in microwave, and let cool. Peel. Mash well, and add butter, brown sugar, spices. Make sure it is well blended. Add chopped pecans. Stir in the evaporated milk well. If you would like this variation, Jazz up the casserole by adding 1 1/2 ounces of your favorite Bourbon for a Southern flavor, or maybe some Brandy or even some Butterscotch Schnapps. Just blend it in well...
- 2Spray a Pyrex or Corningware dish with nonstick spray. Pour sweet potato mixture into dish and place in preheated oven (350 degrees). Bake uncovered 45 minutes.
- 3Remove from oven and pour on top the miniature marshmallows if desired. Bake an additional 15 minutes. Total cooking time should be about an hour. (Don't remove from the oven if not using marshmallows.)
Let set about 20 minutes before serving.
- 4**Just a note... I use French Vanilla flavored marshmallows and it tastes wonderful!