Mashed potatoes,caramelized onions & Guyere cheese
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 Tbspolive oil
3 largesweet onion
2 Tbspbrown sugar ( i use the light version)
2 lbpotatoes, peeled & cubed ( i like to use russet for their texture)
1 lbparsnips, peeled & cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 cchicken broth, heated
1/4 cgrated guyere cheese. ( i use 1/2 cup of cheese, i love guyere)
3 Tbspchopped fresh thyme
How to Make Mashed potatoes,caramelized onions & Guyere cheese
- heat oil on high heat; reduce to medium
- cook onions with sugar & salt, stirring often until onions brown...about 20 to 25 mins. Add a few tbsp. of water as the onions cook so as to not burn or stick to pan.
- Fill a medium pot 3/4 full of cold water, add potatoes & parsnips. bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer & continue cooking potatoes & parsnips for 20 to 25 mins till they become fork tender, then drain.
- Beat 1/4 of potato-parsnip mixture and 3 oz broth in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Repeat, alternating between potato-parsnip mixture and broth, until you've incorporated all.
- Fold in onions, cheese and thyme, and serve.