★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 3 lb
- irish potatoes
- 1 tsp
- 2/3 c
- 1 tsp
- black pepper
- 1/2 c
- heavy cream, room temperature
How to Make Mashed Potatoes
- 1Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch wedges. Add enough cold water to cover the potatoes. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 2Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until potatoes are fork tender. This takes about 25 minutes.
- 3Drain potatoes in a colander. Return to saucepan. Heat over medium low heat 2 - 3 minutes to dry potatoes. Stir occasionally.
- 4Add the butter, cream, more salt, and black pepper. With the heat on medium low, mash and stir the mixture until well blended. About 4 - 5 minutes.
- 5To keep mashed potatoes hot, heat the cream before adding to the potatoes. When prepared ahead of time, keep mashed potatoes warm by placing in top of double boiler or over a pot of hot water.