Mashed Potato Roll with Meat Filling
There are times I can see my Dad sitting at the Russian Tea Room in New York where he lived when he first came to America. My mind always brings me back to the flavors on my Russian heritage.
I enjoy making so many european dishes I learned to make through the years.
- 1 1/2 lb
- potatoes, russets or you can use instant
- 1 tsp
- 1 /1/2 Tbsp
- butter, softened
- 1/2 c
- milk, heated
- 1 1/2 c
- extra large eggs, beaten
- large onion, chopped fine
- 1 1'2 Tbsp
- 1 lb
- ground meat, beef, chicken, veal, pork, turkey ( have used left over ham too)
- 1 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- bread crumbs, dry
- a little more butter for basting and buttering your pan
How to Make Mashed Potato Roll with Meat Filling
- 1Make your mash potato dough first. Cook your potatoes until done in salted water. Mash them. Add them to a bowl and place under mixer, then add the salt, butter and milk. Beat in mixer until fluffly and smooth with no lumps. Cool slightly. Now add the flour and eggs. But save a tad of the eggs for later.
Fry the onions in butter, add the meat, salt and pepper till done. Add a little flour and stir to incorporate. Set aside to cool slightly.
- 3On a floured surface place your mash potato dough and roll it out till it's about 1/2 inch thick.
Spread the meat filling on half the dough evenly leaving part of the edges without the filling.
- 4Fold the dough over and pinch the edges. Place on a buttered cookie sheet. Brush some of the egg you saved on top..sprinkle the bread crumbs on top.
Bake at 350* for about 30 minutes until golden brown
Serve with a mushroom sauce or a white sauce.