Mama's Old Fashioned Potato Salad - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith
I'm sure this basic recipe has be around forever. It's tried and true in our household and the only way our family eats potato salad.
Hope you enjoy!
- 5 lb
- idaho potatoes, peel and cubed
- 1/2 medium
- onion, chopped fine
- hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/4 c
- sweet pickle cubes or relish
- 1/2 c
- dill pickle cubes or relish
- 1 stalk(s)
- celery, diced, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 to 2 c
- hellman's mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp
- paprika, for garnish, optional
- hard boiled egg, sliced, for garnish, optional
How to Make Mama's Old Fashioned Potato Salad - Dee Dee's
- 1Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes; place in a 5 quart pot, cover with water (I add some salt to water); boil for approximately 7 to 8 minutes (time may vary so check for firmness around 5 to 6 minutes, don’t over cook and don’t under cook, you don’t want mashed potato salad and you don’t want under cooked potatoes; drain and rinse in cold water; drain well.
- 2While potatoes are draining and cooling off; combine chopped onion and eggs; set aside.
- 3In a separate bowl, combine pickles, celery, salt and pepper, mustard and mayonnaise.
- 4Once potatoes are cooled; add chopped onion and eggs; fold together gently; add mayonnaise mixture and combine gently with other ingredients; if salad seems like you don’t need all the mayonnaise mixture; don’t use it all, if salad seems to dry, add additional mayonnaise.
- 5Garnish top with sliced boiled eggs and sprinkle with paprika if desired.