Mama's Old Fashioned Potato Salad - Dee Dee's
I'm sure this basic recipe has be around forever. It's tried and true in our household and the only way our family eats potato salad.
Hope you enjoy!
5 lbidaho potatoes, peel and cubed
1/2 mediumonion, chopped fine
5hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/4 csweet pickle cubes or relish
1/2 cdill pickle cubes or relish
1 stalk(s)celery, diced, optional
·salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 to 2 chellman's mayonnaise
1 1/2 to 2 Tbspmustard
·paprika, for garnish, optional
1hard boiled egg, sliced, for garnish, optional
How to Make Mama's Old Fashioned Potato Salad - Dee Dee's
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes; place in a 5 quart pot, cover with water (I add some salt to water); boil for approximately 7 to 8 minutes (time may vary so check for firmness around 5 to 6 minutes, don’t over cook and don’t under cook, you don’t want mashed potato salad and you don’t want under cooked potatoes; drain and rinse in cold water; drain well.
- While potatoes are draining and cooling off; combine chopped onion and eggs; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine pickles, celery, salt and pepper, mustard and mayonnaise.
- Once potatoes are cooled; add chopped onion and eggs; fold together gently; add mayonnaise mixture and combine gently with other ingredients; if salad seems like you don’t need all the mayonnaise mixture; don’t use it all, if salad seems to dry, add additional mayonnaise.
- Garnish top with sliced boiled eggs and sprinkle with paprika if desired.