Low Carb Faux Mashed Potatoes
- medium size head of cauliflower or 2 bags of frozen
- 4 oz
- cream cheese ( you can use lowfat or fat free. i use regular)
- 1/2 stick
- butter or margerine (you can substitute
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Low Carb Faux Mashed Potatoes
- 1If using fresh cauliflower, separate the flowerets. Cut larger pieces to about the size of the smaller pieces. This is very important. You want all the pieces to cook evenly. Steam the pieces until they are soft but not mushy about 8-10 minutes. The microwave works great for this. But check the cauliflower for doneness at 5 minute intervals if you use the micro wave. Overcooked cauliflower has a strong cabbage like flavor and the dish won't taste like mashed potatoes.
- 2Transfer the cooked cauliflower to a food processor. Add cream cheese and butter. Process until smooth. You may have to add a bit of milk but generally the cauliflower has enough moisture. If you add too much liquid the cauliflower will be thin and runny.
- 3Add salt and pepper to taste.. Season salt like Lawry's is great for this dish. If the cauliflower has a strong flavor you may need to add more cream cheese. The cream cheese seems to smooth out the flavor and give you that "potato" taste.
- 4These are great served with a low carb gravy. I made a Shepherd's Pie using these "potatoes". It was sooooo good! I've put them in small oven proof dishes dotted with butter and browned them in the oven. Then I add cheese bacon bits and sour cream to make "twice baked" potatoes.