Loretta Lynn's Potato Balls w/ Sauce
- 3 medium
- 1/2 small
- onion, finely minced
- dash of garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- cracker meal, or panko bread crumbs
- 4 oz
- cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 c
- sour cream
- 4 Tbsp
- green onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, softened
How to Make Loretta Lynn's Potato Balls w/ Sauce
- 1Peel and cube potatoes. Cook til fork tender, then mash. Mix well with onion (you may lightly saute onion first, if desired), garlic powder, pepper, salt and one of the eggs. Form into 1 and 1/2 inch balls.
- 2Beat remaining egg. Roll balls in egg, then in the cracker meal to coat well. REFRIGERATE for 8 - 10 hours. One half hour or so before cooking, remove from refrigerator to bring to room temperature.
- 3For the sauce, combine all the sauce ingredients. *DO NOT HEAT. Saute potato balls in a little oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Serve with the sauce poured over.
*The heat of the potato balls will warm the sauce and melt the cheese a bit, - the contrast of the hot potato balls and the cooler sauce is delightful!