Loaded Potato Cakes
Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
- 2 c
- cold mashed potatoes
- 1 c
- shredded cheese (such as cheddar)
- 1/2 c
- 6 strips
- medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh basil, chopped (or a sprinkling of dried)
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh parsley, chopped (or a sprinkling of dried)
- 2 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 4 Tbsp
- butter or margarine
How to Make Loaded Potato Cakes
- 1Fry the bacon until crispy and drain on a paper towel until cool. Crumble into small bits. Place the bits into a large bowl.
- 2Pour off all but 2 Tablespoons of bacon grease from the frying pan and over medium heat cook the garlic and onion until translucent.
- 3Add the bacon bits along with remaining ingredients (except butter/margarine) and blend well with a spoon or your hands (it'll be sticky).
- 4Wash and dry the frying pan, then melt 1 Tablespoon of butter or margarine in it over medium heat.
- 5Scoop up about 1/4 cup of the potato mixture and form into a ball. Place it in the hot pan, flattening it out until it's about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- 6Fry for about 3 minutes on each side, until they are lightly golden brown. Serve immediately, while hot and crispy. Top with green onions, sour cream or ketchup as desired.