Loaded Potato Cakes
Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
2 ccold mashed potatoes
1 cshredded cheese (such as cheddar)
1medium onion, chopped
2 Tbspfresh basil, chopped (or a sprinkling of dried)
2 Tbspfresh parsley, chopped (or a sprinkling of dried)
2 clovegarlic, chopped
4 Tbspbutter or margarine
How to Make Loaded Potato Cakes
- Fry the bacon until crispy and drain on a paper towel until cool. Crumble into small bits. Place the bits into a large bowl.
- Pour off all but 2 Tablespoons of bacon grease from the frying pan and over medium heat cook the garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add the bacon bits along with remaining ingredients (except butter/margarine) and blend well with a spoon or your hands (it'll be sticky).
- Wash and dry the frying pan, then melt 1 Tablespoon of butter or margarine in it over medium heat.
- Scoop up about 1/4 cup of the potato mixture and form into a ball. Place it in the hot pan, flattening it out until it's about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Fry for about 3 minutes on each side, until they are lightly golden brown. Serve immediately, while hot and crispy. Top with green onions, sour cream or ketchup as desired.