Lazy day peirogis (casserole)
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 5 lb
- all purpose potatoes
- 1 lb
- 3 large
- onions, finely diced
- 8 - 10 oz
- shredded sharp cheese
- 12 oz
- farmers cheese or dry curd cottage cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box
- lasagna noodles, cooked
- 16 oz
- sour cream (to serve on side)
How to Make Lazy day peirogis (casserole)
- 1Peel potatoes. Cut into large chunks. Boil in salted water until fork tender. Drain well.
- 2While potatoes are boiling, saute the chopped onion in butter until tender.
- 3Mash potatoes in large mixing bowl being sure not to leave lumps. DO NOT ADD ANY MILK! Add half of the butter/onion mixture. Add shredded cheese and farmers cheese. Mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Put half of remaining butter/onion mix in bottom of a greased lasagna dish. Cover bottom of dish with a layer of lasagna noodles. Add all of potato mixture. (Note, if pan doesn't hold all of the potato mixture you can bake it in a separate casserole dish). Put another layer of noodles on top. Spread remaining butter/onion mixture over top. Cover with foil. (May make to this point and refrigerate. If so allow extra baking time). Bake at 350F for 1 (one) hour or until heated through. Remove foil and bake 5 minutes longer to allow slight browning of the top. Let sit 15 minutes before serving. Serve with plenty of sour cream on the side.