Before it comes up...I am sharing how to make these with instant potatoes. No one ever knew which I was using, instant or regular. You CAN use regular potatoes.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 box
- instant potato flakes, dry (use the ones that call for milk-but you will not use milk)**box should have 16-17 servings
- 2 pkg
- cream cheese (8oz each) softened
- 1 stick
- butter or margarine-can use up to 2 sticks for flavor [i didn't say this was the healthiest of dishes :-) ]
- 16 oz
- sour cream
- 2 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded (depending on your taste)
- water & salt as stated on box of potatoes--more to taste if needed
How to Make KJ's Potatoes
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350°. Spray casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- 2Fix potatoes as stated on box, ONLY using 1 stick butter or margarine (instead of what is called for on box) and LEAVING OUT THE MILK.
- 3Once your potatoes are "fluffed" with a fork, add the sour cream (best to allow to sit out a bit as it makes it easier to mix together) and softened cream cheese. Mix 'til the sour cream and cream cheese is thoroughly combined with the potatoes.
- 4Using an appropriate sized casserole dish, sprinkle a little of the cheddar cheese in the bottom of the dish.
- 5Dump the potatoes into the dish-spread them out in the dish. Put more of the shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- 6Place in the oven, until cheese is hot and bubbly. If you like the cheese a little "brown" that's okay, too. Just so you don't "over do it" as you don't want it to be of a "hard" or "crunchy" consistency.
- 7Note: you CAN use low-fat sour cream and low-fat cream cheese. You CANNOT use fat-free as it just doesn't work. Use this formula if your box contains more than 16 servings per box: per additional serving (greater than 16 servings/box) add 1/2 to 1 Tabs butter/margarine, 1 Tabs sour cream and 1 Tabs cream cheese per additional serving. Taste as you may or may not have to add a little more salt.
You can essentially use this same formula with "real" potatoes. As I said, I honestly, make it and no one knows if I have use instant potatoes or not. Also, if you just want one or two servings, just use the formula above, and you can put it in the microwave, if you would like, for that "just melted" cheese on top.
The picture I used is of a small amount that I made for Mom and me (and the picture didn't turn out as well as I thought). This is something she will usually eat...as some of you know, I have a really hard time getting her to eat.