Karla's Beef Chuck Roast Dinner (in a crockpot)
I have done this same recipe in the 350° oven for 4 hrs. (turning meat over once through cooking) and add the vegetables the last 2 hrs. of baking time , its just as great that way too.
- 3+ lb
- beef chuck roast ( or your favorite roast)
- 1 pkg
- dry onion soup mix
- 2 c
- 1 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 tsp
- sea salt
- 1/2 tsp
- ground pepper
- 2-4 medium
- whole onions
- 6-8 medium
- potatoes (or amount needed per person)
- 2 c
- baby carrots (or amount needed per person)
How to Make Karla's Beef Chuck Roast Dinner (in a crockpot)
- 4For perfectly smooth gravy add flour to a jar w/lid containing at least one to 1-1/2 cups of water. How much flour? About two tablespoons per cup of gravy desired. Shake up the jar until the flour becomes part of the liquid. Pour the flour/liquid mixture into the hot pan of juices ( I like to pour mine through a fine mesh sieve ) and cook as usual on stove top, stirring constantly. Season ( I like to add 1 tsp. of kitchen bouquet for coloring and flavor)and stir to keep the gravy moving. Bring to a slow boil and cook at least three minutes until gravy is thickened. Deliciously smooth gravy!
- 5You can also make the gravy with corn starch. Mix a couple tablespoons with 1/4 cup of water, and then add it to the boiling juice.
You will need more or less depending on how much liquid you are thickening -- make a little more than you think you need, and add it to your sauce, stirring constantly.
Keep adding the cornstarch mixture until it's "almost but not quite" as thick as you want. It will thicken a little more while it cools.