Janice McDaniel's Southern Potato Salad
I made it for a barbeque and got many compliments on it.
- 3 lb
- red potatoes
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh onion, grated (save the rest of the onion for another use)
- 1 c
- 1 Tbsp
- apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp
- prepared mustard
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- celery seed
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper (i use fresh cracked)
- 1/3 c
- sweet pickle relish, drained
- 2/3 c
- hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 stalk(s)
- celery (i use one)
How to Make Janice McDaniel's Southern Potato Salad
- 1Bring several qts. of water to boil in a large pot. Wash the potatoes and chop into 1/2 in. pieces, leaving the skins on. Add potatoes to boiling water, cover and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium high, uncover and cook potatoes for 13-15 minutes.
- 2Peel the onion and grate off 2 Tbs. with juice into a 3 qt. or larger bowl. Add mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, pepper, pickle relish and egg. Whisk until well combined. Rinse and dice celery. Add it to the bowl and stir well.
- 3When the potatoes are tender, drain well and cool til warm, but not hot. Usually about 5- 10 minutes. (you can rinse them with cold water to speed up the process.) Add potatoes to the bowl. Stir well to coat with dressing. Cover and chill for 2 hours. Before serving, taste and add more salt and pepper, if you like.
- 4Notes: I leave out the eggs when I make it. You can separate the egg yolks and add them to the dressing, then add the chopped egg whites to the potato salad, if you want a richer dressing.
If you pour the dressing over the hot potatoes, they will absorb most of the dressing. It is better to let the potatoes cool a few minutes before adding the dressing.
Low-fat mayonnaise works fine. Don't substitute Miracle Whip.
You can top this salad with sliced green onions or some chopped parsley, for a bit of color.