Hot German Potato Salad, The BEST.
NOTE: Please read through all ingredients and directions before starting. The sauce will separate if not done correctly. Please contact me with any questions.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 1/2 lbrusset potatoes
1 lbbacon crumbled
1 largeonion chopped
3 Tbspbacon grease/drippings & crumbles in pan
3-4 Tbspflour (i use wondra)
2/3 ccider vinegar
·salt and pepper
How to Make Hot German Potato Salad, The BEST.
- Fry, drain & crumble bacon, leave the listed amount of drippings in the frying pan. Boil potatoes until just fork tender, drain, peel and cut into medium chunks/slices. Layer potatoes, onion, bacon and salt & pepper in a large bowl (we like lots of pepper). Set aside.
- Measure out the sugar & cider vinegar. Mix the eggs in the cup of water. Have these ingredients lined up in this order, get your whisk and you're ready to make the sauce.
- Over medium heat, heat the bacon drippings, add the butter. When melted add the flour stirring constantly, scraping up the bacon bits and mixing well, making a roux. Add the sugar and continue stirring until mixture in the pan is a nice tan color (the color and consistency of peanut butter.) Stir, stir because it will burn easily.
- Slowly add the vinegar whisking more vigorously until all the lumps are gone. Set on low heat, add the egg mixture whisking until mixture has set.
- Pour sauce over potatoes and ingredients in bowl. Toss gently until well covered. Serve warm and enjoy!