Hot German Potato Salad, The BEST.
NOTE: Please read through all ingredients and directions before starting. The sauce will separate if not done correctly. Please contact me with any questions.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 1/2 lb
- russet potatoes
- 1 lb
- bacon crumbled
- 1 large
- onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp
- bacon grease/drippings & crumbles in pan
- 2 Tbsp
- 3-4 Tbsp
- flour (i use wondra)
- 1/3 c
- 2/3 c
- cider vinegar
- eggs beaten
- 1 c
- salt and pepper
How to Make Hot German Potato Salad, The BEST.
- 1Fry, drain & crumble bacon, leave the listed amount of drippings in the frying pan. Boil potatoes until just fork tender, drain, peel and cut into medium chunks/slices. Layer potatoes, onion, bacon and salt & pepper in a large bowl (we like lots of pepper). Set aside.
- 2Measure out the sugar & cider vinegar. Mix the eggs in the cup of water. Have these ingredients lined up in this order, get your whisk and you're ready to make the sauce.
- 3Over medium heat, heat the bacon drippings, add the butter. When melted add the flour stirring constantly, scraping up the bacon bits and mixing well, making a roux. Add the sugar and continue stirring until mixture in the pan is a nice tan color (the color and consistency of peanut butter.) Stir, stir because it will burn easily.
- 4Slowly add the vinegar whisking more vigorously until all the lumps are gone. Set on low heat, add the egg mixture whisking until mixture has set.
- 5Pour sauce over potatoes and ingredients in bowl. Toss gently until well covered. Serve warm and enjoy!