11. PREP POTATOES Cut each potato in half crosswise, then cut each half into 8 wedges. Place potatoes in large bowl and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave until edges of potatoes are translucent, 4 to 7 minutes, shaking bowl (without removing plastic) to redistribute potatoes halfway through cooking. Carefully remove plastic and drain well. Gently toss potatoes with oil, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper.
2. MAKE PACKS Cut four 14 by 10-inch sheets of aluminum foil. Working 1 at a time, spread one-quarter of potato mixture over half of foil, fold foil over potatoes, and crimp edges tightly to seal.
3. FINISH OUTSIDE Grill hobo packs over hot fire, covered, until potatoes are completely tender, about 10 minutes, flipping packs halfway through cooking. Cut open foil and serve.
Making Potato Hobo Packs
To ensure tender potatoes with charred, smoky flavors of the grill, here's what to do:
1. Microwave the potatoes first to help them cook quickly on the grill.
2. Arrange the microwaved potatoes on foil, fold over, and crimp.
3. Flip the packs halfway through grilling for evenly charred potatoes.