How to Make Gratin Dauphinois
- 1Preheat oven to 425-degrees. Peel the potatoes and slice them 1/8 inch thick. Place in cold water. Drain when ready to use.
- 2Rub the baking dish with cut garlic. Smear the dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- 3Drain the potatoes and dry them in a towel. Spread half of them in the bottom of the dish. Divide over them half the salt, pepper, cheese, and butter.
- 4Arrange the remaining potatoes over the first layer and season. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese and divide the butter over it. Pour on the boiling milk.
- 5Set the baking dish in upper third of preheated oven. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until the potatoes are tender, the milk is absorbed, and the top is a golden brown.