Gimme More-Potato Corn Chowder-Annette's
We often have soups for Christmas Eve dinner and this is one of them that is always asked for. It's a fight between this, Oyster stew and my Minestrone soup. Of course if I get my way I make this and the Minestrone, that way I get the best of both worlds.
The recipe is my own.
- 1 stick
- 1 medium
- onion, diced
- carrots, diced about the same size as onions
- celery stalks, diced about the same size as carrots
- 2 Tbsp
- all-purpose flour
- 8 medium
- russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 c
- whole milk or 2% milk
- chicken bouillon cubes, disolved in 1/2 cup hot milk(this step is important)
- 1 c
- half and half
- 1 Tbsp
- minced garlic
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- bags frozen corn, thawed
- crumbled bacon, grated sharp cheddar, dill sprigs, green onion
How to Make Gimme More-Potato Corn Chowder-Annette's
- 1In a 5-quart saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic until they are slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- 2Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add potatoes, milk and dissolved bouillon cubes.
- 3Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are very soft and some of them have begun to dissolve into mush. ****I tend to keep most of them cubed rather than allow them to get too mushy****
- 4Add the half-and half, thawed corn, salt and pepper. Let simmer until corn is heated and soup is ready to serve. Top individual bowls with bacon, shredded cheese and dill if desired. Enjoy!