Holly's Garlic Mashed Potatos
★★★★★ 1 vote5
6 largepotatoes/brown or yukon gold
2 largegarlic cloves chopped up
half cof sharp chedder cheese
half stickof unsalted butter
·milk or heavy cream to taste
pinchof salt and pepper to taste
pinchparsley to add color and garnish
How to Make Holly's Garlic Mashed Potatos
- Fill A pot With Fresh Water .. put on the oven to boil .. After I have placed the Pan on the stove Pick out the large Potatoes You want to use and then peel the Potato's If useing Yukon Gold I leave the skins on as they add flavor .. so if you use the Yukon Gold make sure to thoroughly wash them
- After water comes to a Boil add your Potatoes and if the ones you are using are Yukon Gold make sure to place the entire potato in the pan .. If they are extra large you can cut them in Half and add them to the boiling water..
- Boil your Potatoes and Make sure to stir them a few times so they don't stick to the bottom of the pan and reduce the heat so they are not Boiling over !
- After you have made sure your Potatoes are Boiling and cooking in the water .. Finely chop your garlic and place to side for later
- Use about Half a cup of the Cheese you prefer. I find Sharp Cheddar Cheese works best But have tried Parmesan finely grated and it adds a nice taste if you want them to be a little more Italian tasting ..In that case make sure to add some Italian spices to the final mixture as you add the cheese but if you want the basic , use Sharp Cheddar cheese. Make sure to Grate and set to side.
- Watching your potatoes you will know if you stick a fork into the potatoes if they feel soft or if using the Yukon Gold the skins should crack and they should be soft to touch with the fork..
- When your Potatoes feel soft to the touch with the fork ,,, remove them from the Flame and drain them making sure to remove all water from the pan ..
- Place the Potatoes in a Large Bowl or put them back in the pan after draining them of ALL water.
- I like to Mash the Potatoes myself with the old fashioned masher but if you like use the beaters :)
- Now we mash the potatoes to a fine crumbled consistency and then start adding your butter while the potatoes are hot and at this time also add the finely chopped fresh Garlic .. Its important to add the garlic while the potatoes are hot because the heat from the potatoes will soften the Garlic and also flavor the potatoes throughout.
- As your Mixing the Butter and Garlic into the potato Mixture add your Milk /Heavy Cream a little at a time until you reach the consistency you like smooth and creamy without lumps are nice or if you prefer a little more hearty with a few pieces of Potato still intact .. I think both ways are good but I so love the Smooth potatoes!
- I then add my salt and pepper to taste and remember if you are using the Parmesan cheese for that Italian flair add your fresh basil and Italian spices now and blend it all together always tasting the mixture to make sure you have just the amount of Spice you like ..!
- I then add the Cheese as the final step and all the while blending it into the mixture to create a new Flavor to the Potatoes..
- You can serve them direct or put a lid on them for 5 minutes to steam all the ingredients together and soften the garlic even more.. I then remove them from the stove and the lid comes off and I give it one last mixing to make sure all is mixed to the Fine taste of Garlic Mashed Potatoes with your choice of cheese. These are great as left over's and you can make them into Potato Pancakes or potato balls ..They are yummy with that Extra punch.. Enjoy!
If you would like to Searve a little xtra Cheese on the side and a little sour Cream it makes a nice addition to the final mixture of Creamy Mashed Potatoes :))
- I sometimes add a pinch of Parsley or Cheese on top to make it look and taste even more yummy! Enjoy!