How to Make Fried Potatoes and Onions
- Wash potatoes
Using paring knife, cut any dry spots or "eyes" off the potatoes
Do not peel the potatoes
- Cut potatoes into cubes of similar size..about 1"
- Peel and cut onion...rough chop is ok but I like a smaller cut.
Do not mince though because the onion will cook too fast and burn if it is too small
- If you are adding green bell pepper..wash and rough chop
- If you have bacon..fry 3 pieces in a large deep pan.
Remove bacon and set aside.
Add oil and heat--the idea is to add enough oil to coat the potatoes for frying
- Add cubed potatoes to hot oil.
Salt and Pepper
- Add Onion and Green Pepper to pan.
Stir to coat everything w/oil
- Then you just want to fry it!
Turn/Stir it from bottom every 5-7 min. What you are doing is browning what's on the bottom then turning/stiring it to allow a new portion to brown each time. Don't let it burn on the bottom before you turn it.
- Do not cover with a lid unless you are stepping away from the cooking area for a bit and then only for safety reasons. Covering w/a lid causes water to build up on the lid and drip into the potatoes which causes them to fry "wonky" and get mushy.
- Crumble the bacon and add back to the pot before serving