French Potato-Garlic Gratin
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From For the Love of Potatoes! by Darlene Kronschnabel.
- 1 large
- garlic clove, smashed
- 3 Tbsp
- butter, divided
- 4 medium
- potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- freshly grated nutmeg
- egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 c
- 1 c
- gruyere cheese, shredded
How to Make French Potato-Garlic Gratin
- 1Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2Rub the inside of a shallow earthen casserole with the smashed garlic. Mince the leftover portion.
- 3Generously spread butter over the bottom of the casserole.
- 4Layer the potato slices over the butter.
- 5Scatter the minced garlic across the potatoes.
- 6Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg.
- 7In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk until blended. Pour over the potatoes.
- 8Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top.
- 9Dot with remaining butter.
- 10Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden and potatoes are tender.