French Potato-Garlic Gratin
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From For the Love of Potatoes! by Darlene Kronschnabel.
1 largegarlic clove, smashed
3 Tbspbutter, divided
4 mediumpotatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
·salt and pepper, to taste
·freshly grated nutmeg
1egg, slightly beaten
1 cgruyere cheese, shredded
How to Make French Potato-Garlic Gratin
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Rub the inside of a shallow earthen casserole with the smashed garlic. Mince the leftover portion.
- Generously spread butter over the bottom of the casserole.
- Layer the potato slices over the butter.
- Scatter the minced garlic across the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk until blended. Pour over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top.
- Dot with remaining butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden and potatoes are tender.