FISH AND CHIPS (SALLYE)
- 3 TO 5 lb
- whole small fish or fillets (such as catfish, sea perch, crappie)
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp
- sea salt
- 1 Tbsp
- garlic granules or powder
- 2 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp
- chili powder
- 2 qt
- peanut oil (approximately)
- 2 to 4 large
- russet potatoes
- 1 or 2 Tbsp
- coarse sea salt
INGREDIENTS FOR CHIPS
How to Make FISH AND CHIPS (SALLYE)
- 1Thoroughly wash potatoes and dry. Do not remove peels.
Cut into thin slices and place in bowl of ice water along with salt.
- 2Thoroughly wash fish and place in colander or sieve to drain. Pat dry with paper towels.
- 3Place flour, cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, cayenne, black pepper and chili powder in a large zip lock bag and shake thoroughly until well mixed.
Place fish in bag with cornmeal mixture and let set for 15-20 minutes, shaking often so that all the fish is completely coated.
- 4Turn oven to 200º
Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set a cooling rack inside.
- 5Place oil in a large heavy stewpot or deep saucepan (I use my wok), and turn burner to medium high heat. Oil should be about halfway up the sides of the pan.
Shake the bag containing the fish one more time to make sure fish is coated.
When oil is just beginning to smoke (or shimmer heavily), transfer the fish to the oil.
DO NOT OVERCROWD THE PAN. YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE SEVERAL BATCHES.
- 6Cook the fish for about 3 minutes per side, turning once.
Place on cooling rack and slide the baking dish into the oven to keep the fish warm while you finish up.
- 7While fish is cooking, turn the potatoes out into a colander or sieve and drain.
Stir the potatoes with your hands to separate potatoes into individual pieces
- 8You can either use a separate stewpot of fresh oil for frying the chips, or you can use the oil from frying the fish.
- 9AGAIN, DO NOT OVERCROWD THE PAN.
Place a batch of potatoes in the shimmering oil and cook for approximately 3 minutes (until edges are turning a nice toasty brown). Stir and turn once while cooking.
Pour out onto a platter covered with paper towels and allow to drain.
- 10Remove fish from oven and plate with a nice sized serving of chips and desired accoutrements.