Fish and Chips - Easy
3 lbfresh cod fillets (choose thick ones)
·kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cplus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 Tbspbaking powder
1 tspfreshly grated lemon zest
1/4 tspcayenne pepper
·vegetable oil for frying
4 largebaking potatoes, unpeeled
4 Tbspolive oil
1 1/2 tspkosher salt
3/4 tspfreshly ground black pepper
1 tspgarlic, minced
1 tspfresh rosemary leaves, minced
How to Make Fish and Chips - Easy
- Note: The 'chips' are cooked separately in the oven. I'll start you off with the directions for those (even though I didn't list it in that order for ingredients....sorry!) and while they bake, you can make the fish.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scrub the potoates, cut them in half lengthwise, then cut each half in thirds lengthwise (if your potaotes are very large, you may want to cut them again). You'll have at least 6 long wedges from each potato.
- Put the potatoes on a sheet pan with the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. Toss them all together. Spread the potatoes in a single layer with one cut side down.
- Bake the potoates for 30-35 minutes, turning to the other cut side after about 20 minutes. Bake until they are lightly browned, crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Sprinkle with salt and serve with the finished fish.
- Meanwhile, while the potatoes are cooking, lay the cod fillets on a cutting board and sprinle both sides with salt and pepper. Cut the fillets in 1 1/2 inch x 3-inch pieces
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, cayenne pepper, 1 1/2 t salt and 3/4 t pepper. Whisk in 1 cup of water and then the 2 eggs.
- Pour 1/2 inch of oil into a large (12 inch) frying pan and heat it to about 360 degrees F.
- Dip each fillet into the batter, allowing the excess to drip back into the bowl. Place it very carefully into the hot oil. Don't crowd the pieces. Adjust the heat as needed to keep the oil between 360 and 400 degrees F. Cook the fish on each side for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Remove the fish to a plate lined with paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot with the 'chips'. Enjoy!