Ethiopian Beet & Potato Salad
1 lbyellow potatoes, peeled and diced
1 lbred beets
1/4 cfresh lemon juice
2 Tbsppeanut oil
1/2 mediumonion (yellow or red), finely diced
1jalapeño chile, seeded and finely diced
1/4 tspkosher salt, to taste
1/4 tspyellow mustard seeds
1 pinchfenugreek powder
How to Make Ethiopian Beet & Potato Salad
- Wash and trim the beets, and simmer in a medium saucepan for about 35 - 45 minutes (depending on size), or until tender. Remove the beets from the liquid and remove skins with a paper towel. Cut into bite sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, gently simmer the potatoes for 20 – 25 minutes, or until tender. Drain the potatoes, and let them dry out a little in the warm pot.
- While the beets and potatoes are cooking, dice the onion and jalapeño, and place them in a large serving bowl with the lemon juice and peanut oil. When the potatoes have dried off a little, add them (still warm) to the onion mixture, and gently combine. Add the beets, and stir through until everything is a lovely pink shade.
- Toast the yellow mustard seeds just until they start popping, then pour them over the salad, along with the salt and fenugreek powder. Stir well to combine.
- This can be made a day or two in advance. Keep tightly covered in the refrigerator.