Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
Bobbi Jo Woods
I love my mom's scalloped potatoes but I can't stand the shallow dish resulted in cooking in the baking pans, and I was looking for a nice deep dish recipe for my favorite creamy, cheesy potatoes! The crockpot does this wonderfully.
Watch your cooking times. My grandma's old Rival Crockpot takes a bit longer than a newer, non-stick metal one might. A long clean butter knife inserted into the middle, all the way down to the bottom of the dish should come out fairly clean (but probably cheesy!) and not have much resistance when you poke into the potatoes (or when pulling the knife out).
How to Make Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
- Peel, rinse and slice potatoes, dice onion, cube ham and shred cheese, if not already shredded.
- In a small bowl, combine the condensed soup and milk (I just measure out the milk into the empty soup can) whisking lightly with a fork, until fairly well-blended (a few small lumps is OK).
- Spray crockpot liner with cooking spray, or grease lightly with oil.
- Layer one ingredient at a time, starting with potatoes, ham, onion and cheese in a 5-quart slow cooker.
- Repeat layers until ingredients are used up. Do not mix.
- When done layering, pour soup mixture over all, then dot with butter.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours. Makes 6-8 servings.