CREAMY SCALLOPED POTATOES
- 2 1/4 lb
- boiling potatoes (enough to cover 10 x 13 pan)
- 4 tsp
- 1 clove
- 14 Tbsp
- unsalted butter (do not use margarine)
- 4 c
- heavy cream
- 1 c
- 1 pinch
- fresh nutmeg
- 1 pinch
- white pepper
How to Make CREAMY SCALLOPED POTATOES
- 1Peel and slice potatoes 1/8” thick. Then place potatoes in a bowl and toss with 2 t salt and let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2Combine the garlic and 2 T of the softened butter well and spread on the bottom of 10 x 13 baking dish.
- 3In a sauce pan, scald the cream and the milk with the 2 remaining t salt, the pepper and nutmeg.
- 4Drain the potatoes and pat dry with paper towels.
- 5Slice thin the remaining 12 T butter and cover bottom of baking dish. Ladle some of the cream mixture in the dish over the butter then place a layer of potatoes on top. Repeat layers until all potatoes, butter, and cream are gone or until pan is full.
- 6Place pan on baking sheet and bake in a preheated 425 degree oven 20-25* minutes or until the potatoes are tender and lightly browned. Let the dish cool for 10 minutes. *(note: This usually takes longer thean 25 minutes)
- 7Serves 8. (to serve 8 takes more potatoes than the recipe calls for… more like 4-5 # because they are so good) Again, this usually takes longer baking time. When potatoes are easily pierced with a fork and the top is golden brown, they are done… watch top so potatoes do not get too brown on top too early.