Recipe courtesy Christabel Rossiter
- 3 lb
- red rose potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 stick
- 1 1/4 c
- hot milk
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 1 lb
- piece ham, cooked the day before
- scallions, finely chopped
- chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
How to Make Colcannon
- 1Steam the potatoes in their skins for 30 minutes
- 2Chop with a knife before mashing
- 3Mash thoroughly to remove all the lumps
- 4Add 1 stick of butter in pieces
- 5Gradually add hot milk, stirring all the time
- 6Season with a few grinds of black pepper.
- 7Boil the cabbage in unsalted water until it turns a darker color
- 8Add 2 tablespoons butter to tenderize it.
- 9Cover with lid for 2 minutes.
- 10Drain thoroughly before returning it to the pan
- 11Chop into small pieces
- 12Put the ham in a large saucepan and cover with water
- 13Bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes until tender.
- 15Remove any fat and chop into small pieces
- 16Add cabbage, scallions, and ham to mashed potatoes, stirring them in gently.
- 17Serve in individual soup plates.
- 18Make an indentation on the top by swirling a wooden spoon
- 19Put 1 tablespoon of butter into each indentation.
- 20Sprinkle with parsley