Recipe courtesy Christabel Rossiter
3 lbred rose potatoes, scrubbed
1 1/4 chot milk
·freshly ground black pepper
11 head cabbage, cored and finely shredded
1 lbpiece ham, cooked the day before
4scallions, finely chopped
·chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
How to Make Colcannon
- Steam the potatoes in their skins for 30 minutes
- Chop with a knife before mashing
- Mash thoroughly to remove all the lumps
- Add 1 stick of butter in pieces
- Gradually add hot milk, stirring all the time
- Season with a few grinds of black pepper.
- Boil the cabbage in unsalted water until it turns a darker color
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to tenderize it.
- Cover with lid for 2 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly before returning it to the pan
- Chop into small pieces
- Put the ham in a large saucepan and cover with water
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes until tender.
- Remove any fat and chop into small pieces
- Add cabbage, scallions, and ham to mashed potatoes, stirring them in gently.
- Serve in individual soup plates.
- Make an indentation on the top by swirling a wooden spoon
- Put 1 tablespoon of butter into each indentation.
- Sprinkle with parsley