4 slicebacon, uncooked
1/2 largecabbage head, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
1 mediumonion, diced
3 lbpotatoes, cubed
·butter, as desired
·milk, as desired
·salt, pepper, or season to taste
How to Make Colcannon
- in large pot, boil potatoes till soft, just like for mashed potatoes.
- while potatoes are boiling, fry bacon strips till done but not overly crisp. crumble or chop into bits and set aside.
- in pan with bacon grease, sautee the cabbage and onions till they both start to look a little clear, about 10 minutes. Add bacon bits and keep warm while you mash potatoes.
- when potatoes are ready, mash them as you usually would, adding milk and butter and any spices/seasoning you like best.
- add cabbage mixture to mashed potatoes and blend together.
- Put in large bowl and make a well in the center. Put butter to melt in the well.