- 2 lb
- yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
- 5 oz
- 7 oz
- kale, tough center ribs removed and leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 c
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Colcannon
- 1Fill a large pot with generously salted water. Add potato slices; bring to a boil. Simmer until the potatoes are tender; drain. Return potatoes to the pot off of the heat; cover with a clean dish towel and allow to sit for 5 minutes (this helps dry out the potatoes, resulting in a fluffier mash).
- 2In a large skillet, melt 2 Tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add chopped kale and cook for about 10 minutes, or until it has softened and turned a vibrant green. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3In a small saucepan, add milk and remaining 1/2 cup butter; heat over medium heat until butter is melted. Mash the potatoes or press them through a ricer. Pour in hot milk mixture and whip until potatoes are fluffy and light. Stir in cooked kale and salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to serving bowl; make a well in the top and add a pat of butter.