- 2-2 1/2 lb
- russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 5-6 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted with a bit more for serving
- 3 c
- chopped kale, cabbage, chard, or other leafy green, lightly packed into measuring cup
- green onions, including green tops, minced
- 1 c
- milk or cream
- salt to taste
How to Make Colcannon
- 1Put the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water by at least an inch. Add 2 tablespoons of salt, and bring to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are fork tender (15 to 20 minutes). Drain in a colander.
- 2Return the pot to the stove and set over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the pot and once it's hot, add the greens. Cook the greens for 3-4 minutes, or until they are wilted and have given off some of their water. Add the green onions and cook 1 minute more.
- 3Pour in the milk or cream, mix well, and add the potatoes. Reduce the heat to medium. Use a fork or potato masher and mash the potatoes, mixing them up with the greens. Add salt to taste and serve hot, with a knob of butter in the center.