Cheesy Hashbrowns for a Crowd
12 lbshredded hashbrowns
6 can(s)(10 oz. each) cream of chicken soup
416 oz. cartons, sour cream
2 c2% milk
8 cshredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbspgarlic powder
2 Tbsponion powder
How to Make Cheesy Hashbrowns for a Crowd
- Line electric roaster pan with roaster liner. Spray liner with non-stick cooking spray. Be sure you use a roaster liner as there is nothing worse than cleaning an electric roaster pan that has baked on hashbrowns!
- Stir together cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper in a large bowl until well blended.
- Pour half of the hashbrowns into roaster pan. Add all of the soup mixture and stir well. Use a wooden spoon to stir so as not to tear the roaster liner.
- Add in remaining hashbrowns and stir well. Pour in about 1/4 of the cheese at a time and mix well until you have stirred in all of the cheese.
- At this point, you can cover the hashbrown mixture with Saran wrap and then aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight if you have access to a commercial refrigerator or remove the drawers from the bottom of your refrigerator and set the roaster pan in the bottom of the fridge.
- When you are ready to bake the hashbrowns, remove from refrigerator, put some hot water in the bottom of the electric roaster (about 2-3 cups) and set the roaster pan into the roaster. Remove Saran Wrap and foil and put cover on roaster.
- Set roaster at 350--check and stir after half an hour--if the hashbrowns seem to be bubbling along the edges of the pan, turn the roaster down to 275. Continue to cook for about 3-4 hours, checking and stirring every half hour. Be sure you stir with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon as a metal spoon will rip the roaster liner and you will have a mess!
- For the Legion convention meal, we doubled this recipe and made it in two electric roasters. We served this with a 4 oz. portion scoop and got 75 servings from each roaster.