Best Ever Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 tsp
- unsalted butter
- 4 c
- heavy cream or whole milk
- 1 tsp
- each salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 3 1/4 lb
- idaho or yukon gold potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 8 oz
- swiss cheese
How to Make Best Ever Scalloped Potatoes
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees & prepare a two-quart glass baking dish by greasing with tsp of butter.
- 2To the cold cream or milk, wisk in the flour and blend so completely smooth. In a large saucepan add cream or milk mix & bring to a medium high simmer. Add salt & pepper, stir well. Add in the cut potatoes. If any potatoes are uncovered then add additional cream until completely covered. Lower heat to a light simmer & cook until fork tender. It will take about 10 minutes. Take off the heat.
- 3With a large spoon gently move 1/3 of the potatoes to the baking dish. Layer swiss cheese on top & repeat until everything is in the baking dish. Top with the cheese. Place on a baking sheet as they tend to bubble over during cooking. Takes about 30-35 minutes to golden brown.
- 4*optional. Add in 1 cup of ham to make it a main dish meal before baking.
Traditionalist may leave out the swiss cheese, but try it at least once as adds a delicious flavor to the dish!