Vicki Butts (lazyme)
2 lbpotatoes (preferably bintjes or idaho) peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1/3 x 1/3 x 2 1/2-inch sticks
·vegetable oil, for frying
·fine sea salt, to taste
How to Make Belgian Frites
- Soak potatoes in cold water and cover for a minimum of 1 hour and up to 24 hours. Drain, and pat dry.
- Heat 3 inches oil in a large stockpot to 275 degrees to 300 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with paper towels.
- Blanch potatoes in small batches without crowding, turning occasionally, until completely cooked but barely colored, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to one of the prepared baking sheets to drain in a single layer.
- Increase oil temperature to 350 degrees to 360 degrees.
- Fry potatoes in small batches, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with salt, and serve immediately.