Bay-scented Potatoes (Batatas Com Louro)
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From The Food of Portugal by Jean Anderson.
- 2 lb
- new potatoes, of uniform size, scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 medium
- yellow onion, peeled and stuck with 2 cloves
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 4 large
- bay leaves, crumbled fine
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Bay-scented Potatoes (Batatas Com Louro)
- 1Boil the potatoes with the onion in water to cover about 30 minutes until fork-tender.
- 2Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large heavy skillet over low heat; mix in the olive oil and crumbled bay leaves and let steep at the back of the stove while the potatoes cook.
- 3As soon as the potatoes are tender, discard the onion, drain the potatoes well, and peel. Strain the butter mixture and return to the skillet. Add the potatoes, set over moderate heat, and turn them in the bay-scented butter mixture about 5 minutes until nicely glazed and touched with brown. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.