Basic Potato Salad
- 4-6 medium
- potatoes, medium
- 1/2 c
- onion, chopped
- 1/2 c
- celery, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 c
- italian dressing
- 4-6 dash(es)
- salt and pepper
- 1 c
- 2 stick
- green onions, chopped, for topping
How to Make Basic Potato Salad
- 1Fill a 3 qt. saucepan 2/3 full with water. Place on a burner and bring to a boil.
- 2Peel and slice (or dice if you prefer) the potatoes.
Add to the boiling water. Boil potatoes 15 minutes. Drain and put into a large bowl. Pour the Italian dressing on the potatoes while they are warm.
- 3Chop the onion and celery. Add the onion and celery to the potatoes. Stir to combine and then chill for 1 hour.
- 4After the potatoes have chilled, add the mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper. Top with the chopped green onions just before serving.
You can serve this salad warm, fresh from the stove if you like. I prefer to chill it for at least an hour.
Use your favorite Italian dressing. I love Good Seasons, made with 50/50 blend of white balsamic vinegar and white vinegar. I use canola oil, rather than olive oil.
Feel free to add other ingredients to this recipe.
Hard-boiled eggs, red pepper strips, bell peppers, chopped pickles or pickle relish. A dollop of mustard. Enjoy!